While we might live in the sunny state, it doesn’t stop us from experiencing that winter chill. It’s vital that we nourish our bodies properly throughout the season, to maintain a healthy weight and give our immune system the support it needs.
This nutritious soup is nothing to be sneezed at! A simple recipe that proves that healthy eating this winter doesn’t have to be complicated, expensive or overly time consuming.
- 1/3 cup (75g) pearl barley
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 600g lean lamb leg,
- cut in 2cm cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups (500ml) salt-reduced chicken stock
- 3 cups water
- fresh rosemary, chopped (optional)
- Cook barley in boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain.
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onion and celery. Cook for five minutes stirring occasionally.
- Turn heat to high, add lamb and garlic. Cook for five minutes or until lamb is browned.
- Add barley, tomatoes, stock and water to pan. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, partially cover, and simmer for one hour or until lamb is tender. Add water if too thick. Serve with a sprinkle of rosemary.